Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What If God Allows More Than We Can Handle?

1 Corinthians 10:13
"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful.; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

I can't tell you how many times I have heard: "God will never give you more than you can handle."
What wonderful encouragement! What a true, spoken word, from a heart that longs to offer comfort in to a, somewhat, hopeless-looking situation. There is sincere warmth and sympathy in these offerings from others. I have said those words 9,456 times myself. But what if we are wrong about that? What if God does allow more in our lives than we can handle? Look at the verse again:

"...he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear."

The statement "God will not give you more than you can handle," comes from this verse found in 1 Corinthians; but, I do not believe it is entirely applicable in the way I have heard it (and have used it) before.

The verse does not say, "God will not give you more than you can handle," (in terms of heartache, burdens, loss, disappointments) which is the context most people offer these terms of endearment within.
Lose a job? "God will not give you more than you can handle."
Lose a spouse? "God will not give you more than you can handle."
You get the idea.

But, if God will never allow more in to my life than I can handle, then why do I need God?

I'll tell you why: because the verse clearly says he will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear, but when we are (not if), HE will provide the way out. I need him because I will have too much to handle on my own; and, when I am tempted to believe I can, or cannot, do it, I need him. He will be my way home again. He will be perspective. He will be the way out when I am tempted to believe I "have been given too much to handle."

When I am tempted to believe that I have been given more than I can handle, Truth offers the way out by saying, "You can you can do all things, because I am your strength."
Philippians 4:13

When I think I have been given too much to handle, I am tempted to believe I will be flooded and consumed by heartache. Truth offers the way out by saying, "Yes, the floods are coming. The fire is hot. But, I will protect you. I have redeemed you. I have summoned you by name. You. Are. Mine."
Isaiah 43: 1b-2

When I am emotionally driven, my heart condemns and deceives me. I am tempted to follow my heart. Truth offers the way out by saying, "Don't follow your heart. Your heart doesn't know the way. I do."
1 John 3:20

When I fear that admitting pain will leave me undone, I am tempted to rationalize my way through profound grief. Truth offers the way out by saying, "Grieve. I consider your grief and take it in hand. You sow in tears, but you will reap in joy."
Psalm 10:14;  Psalm 126:5

When I think I have been given too much to handle, I am tempted to believe I am defeated. Truth offers a way out by saying, "I have overcome the world in which these trials exist. And you are more than a conqueror. You ARE hard pressed on every side, perplexed, and struck down; but, you are NOT crushed, not in despair, not abandoned, and not destroyed."
John 16:33; Romans 8:37; 2 Corinthians 4:8-9

When I want to make my own way out, I am tempted to rely on my understanding to evade crooked paths; my understanding that is limited and feeble. Truth offers a way out by saying, "Your understanding is not the thing that will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Being tempted to believe we've been given more than we can handle is an intimate invitation that reads:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment